Monday, February 18, 2013

Said, Barenboim, and the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra

I can relate a great deal to this topic because I have been playing violin since I was 7, and even though I am no longer involved in professional ensembles and orchestras, I can relate a good amount to the constant rehearsals with very different types of people. In this type of setting, creating relationships with others is definitely based on musical interests and not nationalities or religious backgrounds. I think this idea of bringing together people of such different backgrounds into a close, personal environment like an orchestra is a great way to promote cross-cultural communication. I think more programs like this should exist in the U.S. to end racism which is still so prevalent.

"Knowledge is the Beginning" sounds like such a moving and creative way for Arab and Jewish young adults to interact with and learn from one another. I think music, and the arts in general, is the perfect medium in which to bring together individuals from diverse backgrounds, because every culture and nation can relate to music in the expression of personal identity. I wonder if there has been any attempt to measure how successful this workshop has been, whether in increasing willingness to communicate with rival cultures, or in "breaking down barriers" as mentioned on the website. I'm also wondering how exactly Mariam Said and Daniel Barenboim keep this project alive and evolving, since it is not simply a question of performing music.

Like a couple of the musicians said in the YouTube clip, obviously an Arab-Jewish orchestra is not going to solve the Arab-Israeli conflict, but it does get them talking to each other about their own experiences that they may not have heard otherwise. Even though activities such as this most likely will not bring peace to the region, is does provoke communication and empathy with the "rival" culture, which I believe to be the first step in conflict resolution.

I really enjoyed this week's readings, not only because they are more informal and therefore a bit easier to read through, but I also like learning about current grassroot projects that build dialogue between Israelis and Palestinians. Daniel Barenboim and Edward Said are both incredible people with a huge legacy of talent, academia, and creativity they have left behind (well, I guess in Barenboim's case, he's not quite finished). I am really looking forward to the lecture with Mariam Said tomorrow and cannot wait to hear her opinions about the conflict.






No comments:

Post a Comment