Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Parallels and Paradoxes

I really appreciated the honesty behind both Barenboim and Said's responses to their feelings of one's "homeland." Coming from a mixed ethnic background, I could relate to Barenboim in that he felt at home with the idea of his homeland (Jerusalem), and perhaps not with the physical space just in itself. Throughout my life I have always wanted to visit Iran and see with my own eyes the geographic places in which my father and his entire family lived, and still live. Yet, I don't think I would feel at home there, at least not in the ways that I do living in the U.S. I think it would make me feel closer to my ethnic roots and will therefore always hold personal significance for me, as I'm sure holds true for all individuals as they grow to understand their own cultural identities.

This idea of one's "homeland" is, in a way, very fixed and constant. But I like how Edward Said brought up identity as constant, fluid, and forever-changing. Therefore, identity is not, and should not, be only linked to our families' pasts. We should not only think of ourselves in terms of the places from which our families came before we were born, but rather, in relation to one's present and future.

I thought it was really interesting that Barenboim said he is not happy with himself unless he can let go entirely and embrace rapid changes around him. This is probably because he has lived all over the world and is constantly doing drastically different projects, but either way, this is a great way to view things. I often find myself resisting big changes that occur in my life, whether school-related or whatever the case may be, but accepting the fact that people, places, and events are constantly evolving is a great way to take advantage of every new opportunity that presents itself.

These are two incredibly intelligent and talented men that I have increasing respect for the more I learn about them. 

4 comments:

  1. I really agree what you said about how our identities should not be linked to our families' past, but the present and future. I truly believe that projects like these that really aim to the younger generations will make room for change in Israel. As they continue to get older and exchange ideas and opinions with each other, they may differ, but they will understand each other better. Now, neither side is talking to one another and it is at a standstill. The future looks to hold bright if the movement can continue in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, our identities necessarily change as we grow and develop. Even our understandings of our homelands or home-cultures develops, and the influences which our homeland and home-cultures exert upon us, ebb and flow and may change entirely. Perhaps Said and Barenboim respectively resonate with these philosophies because embracing change and openness enables us to develop our creativity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie,

    Daniel Barenboim is really a unique kind of person. You can tell that he is so full of intelligence that he must travel constantly and will not conform to pre-determined ideas about the conflict.

    I sometimes resist change too. It is hard to adjust to a new job, school, living in a new city, etc. Though what I have found is that some of the most successful people have lived all over the country, if not the world and have moved often.

    There are definitely lessons to be taken from the experiences of these two men. I was very touched by the film and hearing Mariam Said speak.

    Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that Daniel Barenboim stated that he was not happy with himself unless he can let go entirely and embrace rapid changes around him is only halted by his approach of the conflict. Big risk equals big reward. If he had chosen a different approach other than using music to relay his position on the conflict and to try and create a solution, then it would have to be more dangerous if it was more effective. HE was not willing to do this, fear of violence is what held him back and still has from his projected goal of a unified Israel. so therefore, he stays in the green-zone of music with little political debates here and there to make his point. It doesn't work in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete