Monday, February 11, 2013

My identity through symbols...



This is a pretty accurate portrayal of how I view myself. Even as a young kid, because of my mixed ethnic background, I have always been interesting in learning other languages and travelling the world. Now as an adult in college, I view myself through the places I've been to, and  what I have learned about myself in the process:





My father is first-generation Iranian: he came here in his twenties during the Iranian Revolution, barely knowing English (he still has an extremely thick accent). However, all of my dad's huge family stayed in Iran so I was not exposed to as much Persian culture as I wish I would've been looking back. My mom's side of the family is Catholic and has been for generations, so I actually grew up more influenced by Catholicism than Islam, unlike one might think. Here is a picture of the few Persian objects I have here in Bloomington. (I have lots of cool artwork and clothing at home in Indianapolis):




In high school I was accepted into a two month immersion program in France. This was the first time I left the country, and this trip solidified my love for travel and my desire to study foreign language at the collegiate level.





The summer after my sophomore year at IU, I studied abroad in Vietnam through a SPEA program. (I bought this artwork while I was there; the ones on the bottom are old communist posters, and the ones on top are traditional pieces of art). This was my first time in the "developing world," and after this travel experience I realized I wanted to work in an international development related field after graduation.
Here are a couple of things I bought while studying abroad in Cairo, which was definitely the most influential trip I've been on so far. My interest in the Middle East and especially U.S.-Middle East relations grew dramatically from actually living in the environment for a semester. Because of this and my Iranian background, I want to work in this region in the future, particularly in areas of public health or development.






3 comments:

  1. First off, these are some great artifacts you have collected. It's very cool that you've been able to travel so much at such a young age. I'm sure many people would love to have those same opportunities. I think it's great that you aspire to work in international development after you graduate from IU. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post; it sounds like you have been able to see more of the world already than some people do in a lifetime. And being able to actually live and study in a place has far more of an impact than a just few weeks in a hotel, hitting up all of the tourist spots.
    I bet you have some amazing stories!

    Do you travel to Iran very often? I am becoming more interested in Persian/Iranian culture because I'm dating an Iranian-American. His parents also immigrated around the time of the Revolution. It's so interesting to hear about all of the regional differences and the customs in Shiraz or Tehran, the food, the social atmosphere, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your post it seems like you have already covered half the world in such a short period of time. This sounds like an amazing adventure you have already had and look forward to even more in the future. I know a lot of people that went abroad that loved it and would be interested in working overseas for a period of time after they graduate so I hope you get the opportunity to do the same.

    ReplyDelete