Monday, January 28, 2013

How to End the Arab-Israeli Conflict...

In first reading the instructions for this assignment, my mind went blank. I have no idea where to even start when attempting to address this issue. It is so overwhelmingly complex and deep-rooted in a variety of issues that I feel I have nowhere near to a comprehensive understanding of the matter or what it would take to bring a resolution to the conflict.

After reading the Pressman article, I was shocked by the sheer number of agreements / accords that have been created in an effort to bring an end to the Arab-Israeli conflict. Many of these were extremely close to being signed by one or both parties. However, in every case, it seems like there was always one faction that wasn't entirely satisfied, or events would suddenly change (violent attacks, for example) causing the parties to change their minds about ending the violence.

If none of these diplomatic plans or resolutions could bring an end to the Israeli-Palestinian violence, let alone come to an accord about settlements and land, what will it take now? It seems that with time, hatred of the opposite culture or ethnicity have only had more time to brew and grow stronger, but hopefully this also means that creative solutions have had more time to form. I have no idea what it will take to resolve this deep-rooted conflict; however, I do believe it will take creativity, patience, and sacrifice from both sides. Until both the Arab/Palestinian population and the Israeli population are willing to compromise and accept that they will not be 100% satisfied with the end results, I don't think a resolution will ever be made.

With the issue of the "ownership" of Jerusalem, I think it is pretty obvious that it will need to be made an international zone, since all three monotheistic faiths have religious claims to the area. How could we decide which religion has had more historical precedence in the area, and would it be fair for an outside party to do so? Of course not. Therefore, I think individuals of all religious and ethnic backgrounds should be able to visit the city without fear of attack or persecution. However, as my group and I discussed in class, there are many issues with this: for example, how do we decide which military should be present in the city while still remaining representative of the entire inhabitant population? Obviously, this is a complex part of the Arab-Israeli conflict that will also require compromise and sacrifice from all parties involved.

I hate to admit it but I am rather pessimistic about the conflict being resolved anytime in the near future. This is a cultural and religious issue so deep-rooted in history that it seems like if there hasn't yet been a proposal both sides will accept, why would there be one in the future? My only answer to this is that insha'allah both sides will become so tired of the violence and pointless destruction that they will be willing to listen to and compromise with one another.





1 comment:

  1. I was also surprised by the number of attempts to achieve peace. There were so many agreements and plans and accords in the making, and I agree that it seems like each time there was some small faction in the way. It seems like these groups are the extremists or "crazies" if you will, who are not willing to give anything up. However, if there is one thing I learned from Professor Hermann's conference, and talking with my group mates, its that there is never going to be a winner or a loser. All sides are going to have to give up, or lose something and these types of radical groups are diluting themselves if they think their cause will prevail and that they will "win" Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete